Tuesday, October 21, 2008

the children, they know

daisy horizon

The first poetry i ever remember reading is from Shel Silverstein's book "Where the Sidewalk Ends". I loved the silly poetry and the amazing illustrations. I remember connecting specifically with the poem of the same name as the book. Something about it made me think of dusk and playing in the alley of my block. It was a small town alley, a rutted dirt road behind all of the houses with gravel here and there and lots of great puddles. It was overgrown with weeds and most of the houses were separated by fences. But those fences had holes, and created secret passageways. The alley was filled with mysteries, secrets, witches, flowers, fairies and bugs!  The poem made me feel as though, as a child, I knew of things adults could never know. I was privy to a secret world that grown ups didn't care to see. I had gone to where the sidewalk ends, and kept going to see what adventures lie ahead. 


Where the Sidewalk Ends

There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.

Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.

Shel Silverstein

p.s. G and Suz- remember how terrible the sidewalks on our block were growing up? Trying to roller skate and somehow make it over all the cracks, roller walking over the brick "sidewalk". Is it still like that? Or do jerod and kj just avoid the Garrison's corner like we did? 

5 comments:

  1. grant who told you i have been talking about baby squirrels this week?!

    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/2963025101_3972a874a5_o.jpg

    and what about Mrs. Cool???

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Alley" was (and probably still is) a magical place. I remember once when we had a weird and sudden power outage in the middle of summer...I set out to explore the "why" it happened. In "The Alley"...near Patty's lot and before the bizarre bird cages (Chinese pheasants?!?), I found a squirrel who had decided to play with the power junction on top of a pole. He/She/Whatever had knocked our power out and in the course of it all...had been turned inside out. It seared itself into my memory to this day. David Sedaris asks "why do you never see a baby squirrel?" I'm thinking they are observing their parents and thinking..."hmm...I think I'll just stay right here in the nest my whole life."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neither baby squirrels...NOR...Mrs. Cool would have braved the sidewalks around our block. Skip through the grass at Garrison's corner and you run into that convoluted split-randomly-uplifted-sidewalk-labyrinth in front of Reese's. No child escaped the bike-tire grab of that nightmare. What's worse was Mitzie biting at your heels as you attempted to pry-out and get rolling again! How did we survive?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW: I should note that Shel Silverstein is Sam's favorite author! He's read them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The city fixed most of the sidewalk around the block... wow did it need it. the garrison's brick sidewalk was totally covered in grass.

    I remember when dad had the sidewalk replaced along side our house... I loved it! It was amazing to me to have the smoothest sidewalk on the block for rollerskating. no offense you two but I am certain dad did it just for me : )

    I also had an anxiety attack each time i got to Reese's sidewalk after having my bike tire get caught in the huge split in the middle.

    Shelly, BTW- Mrs. Cool was only the most fertile neighborhood cat to ever roam the hood.

    ReplyDelete