Saturday, February 21, 2009

dream catchers

So I made it through the entire week in Los Angeles without buying a single thing. The last time I was in LA I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a pair of 70s deadstock levis and a vintage silk dress. Am I saying I regret those purchases, no. Should I maybe focus my energy on thrifting for finds like that instead of relying on expensive vintage stores to curate them for me and then charge me a million, yes. 

So today Jill and I went shopping in Fremont, attempting to focus more on the thrift store/flea markets. The problem with me and flea markets is that I LOVE looking at items that are clearly displayed, and organized, like the home items and have very little patience for going through color organized racks of clothing. Unless I have a specific item in mind that I am searching for I generally wander around and collect weird little ceramic items, accessories and books. Hence my collection of many vintage necklaces and belts that I NEVER wear. 


But today I had some sort of purpose. Tomorrow my friends April, Meghan, Jill and I are building terrariums and my favorite ones are the ones with little figurines/creatures etc in them. So I actually got to go and specifically look for weird little ceramic creatures. I found a couple, which are amazing... I will post photos once the terrariums are complete. 

I also have wanted to find a pair of silk slip shorts for awhile now, but always forget to look for them when I am shopping. Fortunately Jill randomly said something about loving slip shorts while we were in a vintage shop and so i immediately went on a mission and found an adorable pink embroidered pair from the 20's. Amazing. 

photo

and then at the flea market I found the most amazing macrame dream catcher/ tree 70's thing ever that will look amazing in my bedroom with the breakfast at tiffany's blue. 

photo

there were a few other things, the most notable being from show pony the Juliette has a gun fragrance "Miss Charming", it might not be true, but it smells nice on me and will be a great spring scent. 

photo

So what we've determined is that shopping is dangerous for me. In any form. I did spent significantly less, and feel that maybe I helped keep a few fremont shops in business at least another day. But I will have to curb the spending again next week...but this time maybe avoid the "binge/purge" element that I exhibited this week. 

but i do have to say the best thing about today was laughing with Jill. Nothing I buy will ever compare with that. 


Picture 4

1 comment:

  1. put down the tree rope macrame thingy and back away slowly, and you wont get hurt. i believe that was made for me and somehow ended up in a seattle flea market by mistake.

    ReplyDelete